before & after
Last week I found this chair from an antique dealer for $5. It was outside in the rain, holding up a screen door. I don't think the photos do it justice, the lines really are beautiful. It needed a bit of work though, the front horizontal piece was disconnected and the fabric smelled old and was badly stained. The frame also had stains, scratches and scuffs.
I should preface with saying that I'm no pro, if you want to see a great tutorial on redoing vintage wood Morgan has a great one right here, prompted by my vintage table. That's next on the list, still.
I sanded the whole frame down twice, wiped it off really well with a cheese cloth and then rubbed it with Teak oil. It's quite rewarding, especially after an hour of sanding! I let it dry and rubbed it down again. Seems it might still need a little bit in some of the "thirsty" spots but I think I'll take a brush to those later.
Then I recovered the seat and back. Pulling all of that nasty boucle off was a chore, let me tell you! It smelled awful and there were staples galore! I spent the better half of two nights getting them totally stripped before I was able to recover them. I chose a white linen-type woven fabric that I found for $1.50 and stretched it as taught as I could. You can see that there are a couple areas that aren't perfect. Whatever, as I said earlier, I'm no pro!
I stayed up till 1:30 last night putting it all together but it is leaps and bounds better than when I found it. I don't think the before photos depict it's true decrepid condition but you'll just have to believe me.
Now I have to find a place to put it. May be the hardest part of the whole process!